In this episode, we feature a guest appearance by Derek Bylsma on the podcast, Athlete Mindset. This conversation is about bringing lived experience to clinical work, suicide prevention and awareness, and addressing the mental health stigma that still exists today.
In this Athlete Mindset podcast, Derek also discusses mental health in young athletes, his background as a clinician, and his leadership style as a coach of a girls’ high school soccer team.
Topics discussed in “Athlete Mindset: Bringing Lived Experience to Clinical Work with Derek Bylsma”:
- Derek shares his story of becoming a mental health professional
- How to spot athletes struggling with mental health
- Staying approachable for those who may need help
- How Derek blends being a clinician with being a coach
- Helping young female athletes build confidence and speak up for themselves
- How social media has changed the way young people see the world
- The importance of learning how to adapt your coaching style
Derek is joined by podcast host and founder of AthMindset, Lisa Bonta Sumii.
If you have any questions about any of the topics discussed in this episode, please click here to send us a message.
Thank you for listening to this episode: “Athlete Mindset: Bringing Lived Experience to Clinical Work with Derek Bylsma”
- Digital Age Mental Health
- Therapist Shortage, Instant Access to Bad News, and Athlete Mental Health
- Time To Shine Today Podcast with Derek Bylsma
Connect with us: